Rita R. Dermody Legal Help Center
Today, more people are representing themselves in legal proceedings than anytime in the past. The library’s effort to provide limited legal help is part of a statewide movement to meet the ever-growing unmet legal needs of Washington residents. Low-income Washingtonians average 9.3 legal problems per year and a vast majority of them do not get legal help for those problems.
We are here to help.
The Rita R. Demody Legal Help Center (LHC) at the Public Law Library of King County provides free, limited legal help to patrons whom we determine might benefit from such help. This often includes:
- Helping patrons find and complete court forms,
- Getting information about what court rules to follow, or
- Learning how to initiate or respond to legal proceedings.
The Legal Help Center staff, however, will not represent patrons in court or other venues, or provide further services.
How to Get Help:
- The Legal Help Center operates every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday in Seattle.
- The Legal Help Center operates every Thursday in Kent.
- Patrons should bring all of their legal documents and arrive between 8:45 am and 9 am. There is no need to arrive earlier.
- No appointment necessary.
- Depending on the number of patrons needing help, you may be asked to participate in a lottery to determine who our staff Public Services attorney will meet with. Please note: the LHC staff will not represent patrons in court or other venues or provide further services.
In addition to the Library’s own Rita R. Dermody Legal Help Center, we partner with the King County Bar Association, the Northwest Justice Project, and Columbia Legal Services to host a several different legal clinics throughout the week. With the exception of the Thursday LHC clinic at our Kent location, all are held in the Seattle law library’s conference rooms on the sixth floor of King County Courthouse. A list is below.
Note: Clinic attorneys can provide legal advice, but do not represent clients.
Other Clinics in the Seattle Library:
Debt Collection Defense Clinic:
Neighborhood Legal Clinic’s Downtown Clinic:
- Every Thursday in the Seattle Library from Noon – 2:00 pm
- 30-minute meeting
- Appointment required; please call (206) 267-7070
- Focused on civil legal and procedural questions. The Downtown Clinic is one of several neighborhood legal clinics sponsored by KCBA. For information about services provided at the other clinic locations please visit the KCBA’s Neighborhood Legal Clinics web site.
- Sponsored by the King County Bar Association
- 2nd Monday of each month in the Seattle Library from 2:45 pm to 4:45 pm
- 1-hour meeting
- Appointment required; please call (206) 287-8625
- The Reentry Clinic provides free legal services to low-income men and women with criminal records facing barriers to successful reentry. The clinic focuses on legal issues related to legal financial obligations (fees, fines and restitution) and access to employment and housing.
- Sponsored by Columbia Legal Services
Seattle Library Legal Clinics Calendar:
Now: 2:33 pm
8:45 am Rita R. Dermody Legal Help Center
Rita R. Dermody Legal Help Center
Mar 28 @ 8:45 am – 12:00 pm
Today, more people are representing themselves in legal proceedings than anytime in the past. The library’s effort to provide limited legal help is part of a statewide movement to meet the ever-growing unmet legal needs …
1:00 pm Debt Collection Defense Clinic
Debt Collection Defense Clinic
Mar 28 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Every Tuesday in the Seattle Library from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm 30-minute meeting No appointment necessary Focused specifically on low-income debtors with questions about debt collection, abusive collection practices, garnishment and medical debts Sponsored …
Download your copy of the clinic schedule here.